The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) selected four research supervisors as this year’s recipients of the Outstanding UROP Mentor Awards, and five UROP students for Outstanding UROP Student Awards.
Outstanding UROP Mentor Awards
UROP received a high volume of excellent nominations from UROP students. Given the exceptional mentorship outlined in the nominations, particularly in this challenging year, UROP staff selected two MIT faculty members and two graduate students for this year’s award.
Outstanding UROP Faculty Supervisors
- Professor Susan Solomon, Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences Lee and Geraldine Martin Professor of Environmental Studies
- Professor Michael Short, Nuclear Science and Engineering, Class of ’42 Associate Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering
Outstanding UROP Graduate Student Supervisors
- Crystal Lee, Science, Technology + Society PhD Student in the Visualization Group, CSAIL
- Ferran Alet, Electrical Engineering + Computer Science PhD Student in the Machine Learning and Robotics Group, CSAIL
Outstanding UROP Student Awards
UROP staff also selected recipients for the inaugural Outstanding UROP Student Awards, which recognize students for exceptional contributions as undergraduate researchers. Recipients were selected from nominations submitted by UROP supervisors and mentors.
Outstanding UROP Student, First-Year Undergraduate Researcher
- Vaishnavi Addala ’24, Electrical Engineering + Computer Science UROP in Mechanical Engineering
Outstanding UROP Student, School of Engineering
- Zoë Marschner ’23, Electrical Engineering + Computer Science, UROP in CSAIL
Outstanding UROP Student, School of Architecture + Planning
- Osvy Rodriguez ’21, Electrical Engineering + Computer Science, UROP in the Media Lab
Outstanding UROP Student, School of Humanities, Arts, + Social Sciences
- Alison Fang ’23, Mathematics, UROP in Comparative Media Studies
Outstanding UROP Student, School of Science
- Agata Bikovtseva ’21, Chemistry, UROP in Chemistry
Congratulations to this year’s UROP Award recipients and thank you to all those who submitted nominations!
— Sara Nelson, UROP