Welcome to OVC! The general information about MIT employment in this section will help you get started and will be a continuing resource throughout your time here.
Application for Employment
If you did not initially submit your resume and application online, please do so by completing a profile on the MIT Careers website.
Employee Self Service
The New Hire site will guide you through the necessary activities to complete as you begin your professional life at MIT, including:
- Setting up the electronic credentials you need to access MIT’s computer systems, including email. You will need your MIT ID number for this.
- Completing your I-9 form – you will not be able to start work without it!
- Getting directions on obtaining your MIT photo ID card, which you need in order to gain access to secured MIT locations.
- Registering for your MIT Benefits Orientation session directly through the Learning Center. Orientations are typically held on Mondays from 1:00- to 2:00 PM on Zoom.
- Registering for the MIT New Employee Meet and Greet that will include an overview of the Institute’s culture, history and resources and an opportunity for you to meet new colleagues across the Institute.
All new employees are required to complete an I-9 form. Prior to or on your start date, please complete the “Employment Eligibility Verification” form and bring it in person, along with the acceptable documents listed in the instructions, to the MIT Atlas Service Center (E17-106). If you are working remotely within the United States, all supporting documentation of I-9s will be verified remotely. The MIT Human Resources site provides more information about the I-9 Process.
ID cards are issued through the MIT Card Services Office. In order to receive an MIT ID, an individual must present a valid passport, or a US government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license. Driver’s licenses from foreign countries, college/university IDs from other institutions like Harvard or Wellesley, credit/bank cards, or insurance cards will not be accepted as proof of ID.
Parking and Transportation
For rates and other commuting options, visit the Parking and Transportation website.
- Support Staff: Vacation accrual/usage is tracked centrally in Atlas. Current vacation balances are displayed on the weekly pay stubs.
- Administrative/Instructional/SRS Staff: Vacation tracking is the responsibility of each staff member. Individuals should use the vacation tracker form and ensure their information is up-to-date.
- Collecting Vacation Data: Individual offices have their own processes for collecting vacation data. Additionally, the OVC collects vacation balances for each administrative staff member in OVC twice per year (May and November).
Support Staff Pay
- Pay Day: Hourly paid employees are paid each Friday. Electronic pay stubs can be viewed and printed from the website.
- Time Reporting: Time sheets are processed electronically. Time should be entered by 5:00 PM each Friday to ensure adequate time for the time sheet approver/administrator to review and approve timesheets. The deadline for approval of time sheets is Mondays by 5:00 PM. If an Institute holiday falls on a Monday the approval deadline is Tuesday at 12:00 noon. These are firm deadlines. If time is not entered and approved by the deadline the staff member will not be paid until the following week.
- Time Sheet Entry: Instructions on how to fill out your electronic time sheet are described in the Time Sheet Entry section.
Administrative Staff Pay
- Pay Day: Administrative employees are paid bimonthly, half on the 15th of the month and half on the last day of the month (or the prior business day if either falls on a weekend or holiday). Electronic pay stubs can be viewed and printed from the website.