In 2018, OVC met with graduate students in small and large groups to listen to their concerns and solicit their input on how we can improve graduate student life and learning at the Institute. Together, they identified the following shared goals:
- Strengthening the support network for graduate students and their families.
- Expanding housing options (on-campus and off).
- Enhancing diversity and inclusion, advising, and professional development programs and services.
With these goals in mind, OVC launched a series of initiatives, known collectively as the Graduate Student Roadmap, as part of a strategic effort to improve the graduate student experience at MIT.
The organizing framework of the Roadmap consists of eight aspects of graduate student life:
- Financial Stability
- Housing and Food Security
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Support and Wellness
- Professional Development and Advising
- Onboarding and Orientation
- Business Practices