Enhance the undergraduate experience
Objective: Provide students with the education they need to fulfill their aspirations and make a better world.
- Contribute to advancing MIT undergrad education by enhancing the first-year student academic experience.
- Develop an improved undergraduate orientation that aligns with goals for the first year experience.
- Improve our understanding of who chooses MIT and why and improve our ability to communicate MIT’s strengths to continue to attract the world’s most talented students.
- Improve how we communicate undergraduate tuition and financial aid.
- Invent a way to reduce the time between end of finals and graduation by a factor of two.
- Collaborate with PKG to implement an undergraduate service opportunities program.
- Provide a more coordinated interface for students seeking extra- and co-curricular opportunities.
Serve our graduate students
Objective: Provide students with the education they need to fulfill their aspirations and make a better world and create an environment in which students may produce their best work to support the teaching & research mission of MIT.
- Create new initiatives for graduate students and strengthen existing efforts in partnership with the GSC and DSL, to enhance the graduate student experience with regard to: professional, research and personal advising; professional development; diversity; inclusion; and well-being.
- Work with GSC & DSL to redesign the graduate student orientation experience for onboarding all graduate students at MIT.
- Expand OGE capabilities by leveraging resources from other OVC offices.
- Contribute to developing a rigorous understanding of graduate student housing needs.
Promote diversity, inclusion & well-being
Objective: To deliver on the OVC mission, we must commit to being diverse and inclusive. Different perspectives create the best solutions and outcomes.
- Inventory and evaluate programs in order to build a more diverse and supportive environment that meets the needs of all students, especially those from underrepresented groups.
- Expand the number of students we reach through OME by creating an online version of Interphase EDGE through a collaboration of ODL, OME & TLL. Evaluate the use of these tools for improving the learning outcomes of on-campus Interphase EDGE students.
- Leverage research and new technologies to support MIT’s enrollment of an undergraduate and graduate student body that is talented and diverse.
- Build stronger diversity programs through collaboration across OVC and MIT. Cross-fertilize best practices across programs.
- Partner with MindHandHeart (MHH) to create a more welcoming environment in OVC offices and catalyze change in MIT departments. This means being intentional about promoting and supporting the overall health and wellbeing of all students, staff, and faculty.
Improve advising, career services & professional development
Objective: Equip students with the professional skills they need to thrive in a variety of workplace settings over the course of their careers as national and global leaders.
- Increase opportunities for students to explore a diverse range of academic and career opportunities.
- Enhance academic advising in the first year and beyond for both undergraduate and graduate students in partnership with MHH, faculty, and academic departments.
- Provide undergraduate and graduate students more effective professional development opportunities.
- Build on current programmatic efforts to deliver a robust financial literacy program.
- Provide more effective navigation for students to MIT resources, including both digital and in person components.
Strengthen academic infrastructure
Objectives: Provide students, faculty and staff with the best tools and classrooms to deliver the optimal student academic experience.
- Identify and implement an electronic learning management system that better serves the needs of students and faculty.
- Define a plan to optimize resources and implement solutions that best support the needs of students, faculty, and staff through a 3-year Education Systems Roadmap
- Improve the subject and teaching evaluation process.
- Create an integrated student dashboard.
- Evolve classroom spaces to improve the teaching and learning environment and support pedagogical innovation.
Live Our Mission and Values
Objective: Serve as a model organization at MIT for a principle-driven approach towards optimizing the best outcomes.
- Promote staff engagement and professional development through assignments on cross-functional teams that reflect diverse opinions/ideas/experiences/backgrounds.
- Develop and implement a coordinated OVC communications strategy.
- Streamline business practices to optimize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Promote Institute-wide impact by using the TLL’s teaching and learning and assessment and evaluation experts to guide our work both within and outside OVC.
- Strengthen our capabilities in collection, interpretation, and use of qualitative and quantitative information to improve the rigor of decision-making.
- Find additional ways to recognize, reward, and celebrate people within our organization who help fulfill our mission, values, and goals.
- Prioritize and balance on-going activities and new initiatives in a manner consistent with our resources, staffing, and space.