We want to infuse authentic learning experiences into the curriculum from day one. How do we best respond to the changing reality for our students, such as: the evolving nature of disciplines (emergent fields like artificial intelligence, the internet of things, and autonomy); growing interest in innovation and global experiences; and the explosion of digital learning.
First Year Experience Design Course (Spring 2018)
A core part of Office of the Vice Chancellor’s priority on exploring the first year undergraduate experience at MIT is a spring 2018 course, Designing the First Year at MIT.
Open to all enrolled undergraduate and graduate students, the design-intensive course will use the MIT First Year Experience as a way to teach different methods for how to examine an issue, understand it better, tease out what constituents prioritize changing, design alternate prototypes, evaluate those, and iterate.
Why are we taking this approach? At MIT, we’ve learned our students are the best advocates for the change they want to see at MIT. And ultimately, we hope what we learn in the fall, and what comes out of the class, will serve to make MIT’s first year the best that MIT can offer to future students.
Students: To receive updates / a reminder to register, please sign up: http://bit.ly/fyeupdates.
First Year Experience Core Team
- Ian A. Waitz, Vice Chancellor
- Jag Patel (project lead), Senior Director, Special Projects
- Peko Hosoi, Associate Dean of Engineering and Neil and Jane Pappalardo Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Susan Silbey, Chair of the Faculty; Leon and Anne Goldberg Professor of Humanities, Sociology and Anthropology; and Professor of Behavioral and Policy Sciences, Sloan School of Management
- Bruce Cameron, Director, System Architecture Lab; Lecturer in System Design and Management (SDM); and Faculty Director, Architecture and Systems Engineering Certificate
- Bryan Moser, Academic Director and Sr. Lecturer, Systems and Design Management (SDM); Associate Director, Strategic Engineering Research Group
- Ben Linville-Engler, Teaching Assistant; and Fellow, Systems Design and Management (SDM)
- Alexa Martin (Year 3, Mathematics), Vice President of the MIT Undergraduate Association; Kathryn Jiang (Year 2, Mathematics), Secretary of the MIT Undergraduate Association; Noah McDaniel (Year 2, Earth and Planetary Sciences), Edward Fan (Year 2, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
- Dennis Kim, Ivan R. Cottrell Professor of Immunology
- Elizabeth Cogliano-Young, Associate Dean & Interim Director of Undergraduate Advising and Academic Programming
- Denny Freeman, Professor of Electrical Engineering
- Graham Jones, Associate Professor of Anthropology
- Kim Haberlin, Special Advisor to the Chancellor; Michael Patrick Rutter, Senior Advisor for Communications, Office of the Vice Chancellor; Chris Peterson, Sr. Assistant Director, MIT Admissions
- Glen Urban, David Austin Professor in Marketing, Emeritus; MIT Sloan School Dean, Emeritus
- Janet Rankin, Interim Director of the MIT Teaching and Learning Laboratory; Jon Daries, Senior Project Manager, Institutional Research; and Lydia Snover, Director of Institutional Research
- Justin Reich, Assistant Professor in Comparative Media Studies/Writing
- Maria Yang, Assoc Professor of Mech Eng & Engineering Systems
- Justin Steil, Assistant Professor of Law and Urban Planning